21st Century: Teach Us; We’ll Teach Them.

I start my blog by referencing the blog of a serious but enlighteningly funny blogger – Will.  I read his latest blog: Urgent: 21st Century Skills for Educators (and Others) First.     (http://weblogg-ed.com/2008/urgent-21st-century-skills-for-educators-and-others-first/) and I must say that I am in total agreement with some of the points he brought up.   It is just like some of the Web 2.0 clips that we have seen that highlight the fact that if you want to teach me, engage me. Or, if you want to reach the children of the Net Generation, meet them where they are – on compouters.  I like his reference to those presenters who are still stuck in the old (antequated) ways of making persentations. (I think they need to take this course sir.  🙂  )

This brings me to my first point; do we as teachers have the right or the luxury of not using the internet in the classroom. Before taking this course and the intergration of technology I see in the classrooms here in Cumberland I would have said teachers had such a luxury but right now I say we do not have such a luxury.  Being at a place and a time so entrenced in technology in every aspect of our lives I think it would be neglegent of a teacher to choose not to use technology in the classroom.   http://dangerouslyirrelevant.org/2008/10/slide—should.html  This slide poses a question that coincides with what I just outlined above.  Let me reitterate – No, I do not think teachers should have the option or choice of not using technology within the classroom.

Second point of my discussion: Should teachers wait on School Board, County or State offered programs to engage in professional development?

Personnally, there are a lot of different things that come into play for me on this topic. I must say though, that if you as a teacher have the means and the opportunity to pursue professional development courses on your own go ahead and do it as it will benefit you in the end.  As I said, diffferent things come into play and here are a few of them; money, time and the availablitly of the professional development courses that you are interested in or need to take. I must say that I have a great appreciation for Cumberland County that offers a range of professional developoment classes in a range of topics that are free of cost to teachers. Some of these classes are also offered online so that takes care of the time element in a lot of cases. 

This technology kick that talks about 21st Century and how we as teachers are preparing our children for it is real and relevant.  Technology is here to stay, it is not something that is going away, if anything we will only see more of it in thte future. It is in our homes, our schools, and everywhere we go in the community.  Do not make yourself obsolet by refusing to integrate technology into your lessons. Instead, absorb as much as you can so you become indispensible to you school team.

Please view this youtube video of a 21st Century Teacher as they encouge us to enbrace technology as the gateway that it truely is.  Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/B4g5M06YyVw

(This video could represent my entire presentation   🙂   )

8 thoughts on “21st Century: Teach Us; We’ll Teach Them.

1. Great thoughts, thanks for sharing. I agree with you, teachers should not be given the option to choose or not to choose. With the technological revolution we are in, we must be prepared to meet these kids where there are – as soon as they enter the classroom, technology must be there to meet you. Do not make yourself obsolete by refusing to integrate technology into your lessons. Instead, absorb as much as you can so you become indispensible to you school team. Well said!

2. “This technology kick that talks about 21st Century and how we as teachers are preparing our children for it is real and relevant. Technology is here to stay, it is not something that is going away, if anything we will only see more of it in the future.” I agree with you wholeheartedly! Technology should be embraced by educators and never shunned. Thanks for sharing!

3. Interesting views on the topic. As I read your post I reflected on a comment I made on another colleague page, that “technology is here to stay”; it was funny that you made the exact comment in your post. We are at a point where it it is pointless to fight the inevitable. Our job is to prepare kids for the real world, and in the real world countless technology exist. I was speaking with a teacher at work and she recalled that there was a point in education at my present school when the emphasis was on teaching students the skills they needed to fit in the “trade” world (auto mechanics, Home Economics, Agriculture etc), our jobs are now to prepare them for technological advances that will revolutionize these once simple subject areas. We are preparing kids for what is to come, we owe it to them to at lease do it right, learn about the technology ourselves.

4. Technology is really here to stay as was mentioned by Teacher Girl. We can not run away from what is to be for real girl. You made some valid point where training on our own is concerned. As you mentioned, TIME, MONEY; these are so true as it relates to especially a teacher. It is so good that you are in a county that goes all the way to ensure that teachers are given the proper training necessary for kids to learn the correct and updated way. We need more county like yours. Great post!!

5. I really enjoyed your last video, and that is certainly true, we can and some teachers are doing it now, the point is to start and keep it doing it, and have the passion to improve and embrace the new that is comming. Great post.

6. Great post! I guess we can all say that the internet is our “new best friend.” No matter how hard we try to spend our days without using the internet, it is rather impossible. After reading various articles and watching many videos, we more are aware that technology is leading the way in preparing our students for the 21st century and beyond.

7. “…As I said, different things come into play and here are a few of them; money, time and the availability of the professional development courses that you are interested in or need to take. ”

I sort of agree…particularly with the time aspect, but as I hope I have shown you in this class, there are a ton of free training videos on the web…as well as teacher resource sites like Classroom 2.0, where one can ask questions of peers and get excellent help. Your “support person” does not have to be in the same county…or country. 🙂

8. Your last video really sums up everything. The questions of time, money, and availability are always at the forefront. There are some school districts that really practice what they preach, so to speak. We as teachers just need to make use of as much opportunities when it comes to professional development as we possibly can.